Sunday, July 1, 2012

Kankariya lake & Mahatma Gandhi’s Sabarmati Asharam

Ahmedabad has seen some rapid development on the infrastructure front. From the airport, I took a taxi to Gandhianagar. For me it was a stunning experinece to see around the atmosphere and greenary,and I wanted to get a first hand feel of it before heading to work. I planned to visit to Swami Nanayan Temple especially for the light and music show in the evening.Then Monday came and as a routine headed for work.

I had plenty of time to move around Gujarat, espically on weekends, over a period of 8 Months.I planned with my friends to visit Kankariya lake, we took bus from gandhinagar to RTO Circle form where we will get BRTS bus directly to Kankariya lake,What this means is the bus goes across the city in a dedicated lane, avoiding any traffic that may be plaguing the other general lanes. At the face of it, the scheme looked good to me, as I reached my destination in just about 35 minutes. People had contradictory thoughts about it, which is always the case.

Kankariya lake & Mahatma Gandhi’s Sabarmati Asharam

I wanted to visit Mahatma Gandhi’s Sabarmati Asharam, which is roughly on the other side of the city for me (Kankariya lake). I took a Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS), bus from Kankariya lake till RTO (this was the complete route). I took a rickshaw till the Asharam and spent about 1 ½ hour in the lovely place. One gets a unique feeling moving around the areas where stalwarts like Mahatma Gandhi, Vinoba Bhave amongst others had roamed ones. Many of our independence struggles’ movements were also formulated here. The Asharam was well maintained.




Gandhiji’s own house drew the most crowd and so did his private room. One may stand and wonder how brilliantly the layout was planned, even during those days. As there were some gates to the banks of the Sabarmati river, which provided the Asharam with continual water supply. There was also a man who was weaving cloth (khadi) on the famous ‘Charkha’ outside Gandhiji’s house. The best part I liked was a school that is run for underprivileged children within the extended premises of the Asharam. Though Gandhi ji left us long back, but what he left behind is still taking care of hundreds or even thousands. I spent some more time moving around and then left.

Before leaving, I bought a few souvenirs for my house, including a lovely enlarged picture of Gandhiji, post cards and key-chains.

Photos:-
Gandhi Ashram
Kankariya lake

No comments:

Post a Comment