Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sun Temple, Modhera


I always choose what I should do on the weekends. However, this time I decided I will do something chosen by others. The element of surprise will add at least some spices to life which has otherwise become so monotonous. I asked for Megha’s opinion and she said Sun Temple of Modhera. Sun temple it was. 


The sun temple of Modhera was around 90 Kms from Gandhinagar. We left very late, around 2:00 pm, and boarded on a state government bus to Mehsana. We reached around 3:00 pm and enquired about bus to Modhera Sun Temple. The man at the enquiry counter babbled something, of which I could only understand 5:30 pm. I asked for the last bus to Gandhinagar and he said 7:00 pm. I was surprised that how could the last bus be leaving so early, i.e., at 7:00 pm. There are so many people traveling between these two cities every day and, I wondered, how come the transportation is so poor.  However it was not possible to manage to visit Sun temple between 5:30 to 7:00 PM, as people said it takes almost 1 hour to reach there. We got little depressed, mainly for the reason that even after coming so far we won’t be able to see sun temple. We went out of bus stand and asked some auto rickshaws about travel time and fare. One guy said Rs. 250 for to and fro and it will take only 30 to 40 minutes. I liked the deal and we immediately hired that auto. The road to sun temple was very pleasant and was surrounded by greenery on both the sides. While traveling, I was thinking about my life and was comparing it with other people. I was thinking that millions of people are out there who have got some or the other talent, but I have none. I never worked on cultivating a talent. I was asking a question to myself why I do not have any talent. The answer which I got made my journey a success. I learnt something very important that day. I realized that:
I have never lived for learning, but I have only been learning what is required to live happily.
That made many things clear to me. This made me happy even before reaching sun temple. We reached in 50 minutes to sun temple. 




The temple did not have any idol, it was just a structure of stones on which lot of carving was done. I have never been able to appreciate the fine work done on the stones, but I could appreciate the beauty of the structure as a whole. 


Surya kund, facing the temple
The journey took us total 7 hours, out of which we could spend only one hour in the sun temple of Modhera, and rest all went into traveling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment